Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Here's a shot by Eric Nieudan of one page by the French version ofMoldvay Basic.




Here's a shot by Eric Nieudan of one page by the French version of Moldvay Basic. On the page, there's a small picture by Jim Holloway of three adventurers, I believe showing a thief, elf and dwarf. I know this pic is not in the US Moldvay Basic, and I don't think it is in the Mentzer version either. So it may be unique to the French rulebook. Some of the French modules from the time (B2, B3) also have unique art as reported by Demos Sachlas

Originally shared by Eric Nieudan

Did you know that the TSR produced French rulebook of Moldvay Basic called halflings, tinigens? I've always wondered where this word came from, with its weirdly made up English roots.

On the photo below you can see that 13 year-old me put two and two together after reading The Fellowship of the Ring (my copy has a lot of little notes to 'correct' the information in it).

But for a couple years before that, we only had these paragraphs to figure out what a tinigen was. A fierce hunter? A tiny ghost of the woods? A builder of beautiful manses full of treasure? I remember how puzzling that illustration was: the archer in the middle clearly looks like an elf, but they're much shorter than the hooded figure on the left (and the book tells us elves are taller). Could that be the tinigen?

I think Tinigens need a proper write-up.

16 comments:

  1. The unique art from the French B3 can be seen on DF in a thread by Demos Sachlas: dragonsfoot.org - Dragonsfoot • View topic - Darlene art question

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the unique French cover for B2, with art by Jim Holloway: acaeum.com - B2 Foreign

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Grognardia reported on this back in 2012, and I had forgotten in the intervening time:
    grognardia.blogspot.com - French D&D Images

    ReplyDelete
  4. More pics, inc the title page of the French B2 with the Owlbear Battle by Jim Holloway instead of Jim Roslof:

    grognardia.blogspot.com - May the Dice Be With You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and follow up comments... 🎲🎲🎲

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've lost my copy of B3 over the years (I only have the cover/map, which makes it more frustrating...) Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Art Braune Are those dice a WIS roll of 3 for me? 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool stuff fellas. Jim Holloway really cranked the art out during a period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zach H those look like 3x6's to me... 8^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Art Braune Hmm, that's strange. I'm seeing three d6s with a single red dot (the number 1) on the side facing "up".

    ReplyDelete
  11. That piece is not in Mentzer Basic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Art Braune Zach H Different devices and apps will show emoji differently: https://emojipedia.org/game-die/
    emojipedia.org - Game Die Emoji

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is how WWIII will start - misinterpreted Emoji... 8^)

    ReplyDelete