Saturday, January 13, 2018

Into the Borderlands

I read this update on the Goodman Games reprint/5E conversion of B1 and B2 yesterday. Here's Brendan S with some thoughts on it.

Originally shared by Brendan S

I remember the news about the license acquisition for this, but haven't paid much attention since. Glad to hear there is progress.

At some level, a 380 page version of B1-2 is sort of absurd, but I don't even care, I'm just happy there's a hardcover love letter to these old modules.

(However, while I wouldn't kick a a careful 5E conversion out of bed, my guess is that the DCC and collect-all-the-things faithful who will undoubtedly be the primary customers of this book will maybe benefit less from this part of the book than more casual 5E players.)

A thought experiment: what would the B series look like retold in the manner of Into the Abyss (or one of the other recent single-hardcover adventure paths)? Would that be possible? At some level I know WotC has been taking a lot of inspiration from trad modules, but somehow the relationship between I6 and Curse of Strahd seems unlike what I am trying to get at here.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/10/the-latest-news-on-into-the-borderlands/
http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/10/the-latest-news-on-into-the-borderlands/

8 comments:

  1. Note that this book will include reprints of the Holmes version of each of B1 and B2. And reprints of the Moldvay (B/X) version. It's nice they are including the original Holmes versions rather than just the more well known B/X versions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach H this fact makes the compilation thoroughly intriguing and indispensable for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to this. Goodman Games produces high quality material and will likely pay great attention to detail befitting the history of these products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get it. I keep seeing how 5e is so easy to run in an old-school fashion. Why a 300+ page reprint in 5e format? Shouldn't any DM worth his dice be able to convert it on the fly, as I've seen others post? WTH else are they shoving in there to pad that out to 300+ pages? I really enjoyed the DCC line of adventures back in the 3e days, but man, I just don't get the need for this product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich Franks ...I've heard more than once that 5e is drawing in new players (and DMs). The new folks always need things to help them get up to speed.

    The reprint includes basically three full versions of each module, for one thing contributing to the page count. Plus new material (and maybe the Monster and Treasure Assortments reproduced as well?). Plus historical perspective and commentary. Knowing Goodman Games, I'm expecting a lot of art to be emphasized. There may well be material included that hasn't been revealed yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich Franks heh. Yeah, a lot of folks like perhaps you and/or I have found much to like and see a nice-n-easy edition in Fifth but for myself, flipping through the 5th ed. manuals is like reading another language entirely. It would seem pretty clear it is a popular edition for new (school) and old and entirely new so that's awesome.
    Heck, there are a good number of folks who swear by, not just 'older' editions in general but OD&D specifically that are younger than even I and began with 3rd ed (the last major infusion of new players) so I'll not gripe as I imagine the same sort of turn for a solid enough number of the newest school.
    The mad hermit is mad but he's also glad to have new victims.

    ReplyDelete
  7. +1 to all that has been said so far, concerns, the expansion of 5e for new players & DM's, etc. I don't mind new art as long as it is inspired by B1 & B2, but I hope they do keep the original pieces.

    Also glad to hear they are also including the MTA, and I hope it is the whole set 1-9. I missed those when the Basic set came out pre-1979, and only recently (10 years ago?) found a copy of 1-3. Now I need 4-9!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert Weber not only will they be keeping the original pieces, but we'll get 2 archival reproductions of EACH module, plus the conversions!

    ReplyDelete