Friday, December 23, 2016

Just finished running U1 for my 9yo & his two cousins.

Just finished running U1 for my 9yo & his two cousins. They took control of the Sea Ghost after a desperate battle on the deck. This is a continuation of a campaign we started in the summer of 2015. They've finished the Zenopus & Mentzer Sample Dungeons, Quest for the Silver Sword, the Blizzard Pass group adventure and U1. I use BECMI with a Holmes influence; I often run combat by DEX. For Xmas, I gave my niece the BECMI Master Set books (she has the lower levels rulebooks already). She's been running her younger brother, his friend and the two dads thru Palace of the Silver Princess.

9 comments:

  1. This is outstanding. I played a short 30 minute game with my kids a few years. Have been itching to try something again, and reading this is inspiring.

    What is combat by DEX?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Holmes, Initiative was in Dex order

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sea Ghost is a tough fight - well done to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like terrific fun.

    Any plans to continue the U series?

    Did you use Portown in place of Saltmarsh or otherwise conflate the two?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great continuing campaign! I also use a BECMI template for occasional games without my regular group.

    Happy holiday gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Blizzard Pass, and find it a great adventure, especially for youngsters. I only wish I still had my copies of U1-3 (the whole set disappeared on me more than a decade back), as I've never had a chance to run those.

    Even though I don't use BECMI anymore, I always thought the Master set was wonderful and inspiring in many ways. I'm sure you're niece will get some good mileage out of them, if only for their ideas.
    : )

    ReplyDelete