Saturday, October 13, 2018

I had a great session today running Holmes edition at Big Bad Con, here on the left coast.

I had a great session today running Holmes edition at Big Bad Con, here on the left coast. I used the Fantasy Games Unlimited "Citadel" adventure game as the basic premise for the module and stocked the lovely tiles with a bit of my own weirdness and the sample wandering monster tables provided in the holmes book. I am pretty sure at least 10 player characters were killed in the process and each of the players seemed to enjoy themselves nonetheless. I leverage a house rule mechanic where when someone loses a PC, they get a replacement character but I place the "Santa Muerte" candle in front of them. If you ever lose a PC and you already have Santa Muerte with her eye on you, you are not given a replacement. There is just one candle and it gets passed amongst the players as they earn the attention of Santa Muerte. This works well for convention games to keep players in the session in spite of their poor choices.

6 comments:

  1. I dig the Santa Muerte idea... So it only bumps a player out if they suffer two consecutive loses, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I've never heard of the FGU Citadel game, what is the premise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Citadel was put out in 1976 and it is an adventure game where one player plays the heroes and the other plays the monsters and traps. The game includes a "citadel" of 6 map sheets that are double sided for variety and on the sheets are squares large enough to accommodate miniatures. It includes a sheet of counters representing pit traps and various strength monsters for use during play. I found a copy at DunDraCon a few years back for a couple bucks but it is available via pdf on rpgnow. The simple tile decorations are evocative to me for some reason and make it easy to improvise. I used miniatures for todays game and they were a variety of heritage, games workshop, and grenadier in 25mm scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, all that and not a direct answer to your question. The basic premise is that the rag tag band of adventurers have been hand picked by the King for the task of retrieving a talisman from the citadel. The background flavor text is a super campy role call type affair where they describe each of the characters briefly - I read it verbatim at the table for todays session :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon Wilson Yeah as long as they don't have two consecutive losses they are still in. It allows for a blood bath while still giving players time at the table ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great game. I like weird house rules.

    ReplyDelete