Thursday, August 10, 2017

Day 9: Awesome Media That Would Make An Awesome RPG


Originally posted by Unknown:

Day 9: Awesome Media That Would Make An Awesome RPG

My answer to today's official prompt is a brief roll of the eyes, so I'll glance back to the 2015 prompt, which is an endless source of easy answers.

Spinning the media-wheel and landing on "computer games," I still crave a tabletop RPG set in the Zork universe, taking its strongest cues from Beyond Zork but drawing on the whole library (including the Effinger novel, the Activision stuff, and the retroattached Enchanter material). Parts of heaven's grave are shamelessly Zorkian, of course, but gaming-in-the-style-of and actually-adapted-from are very different animals. I envision a very distinct style of adventuring in this world, distinct from both the usual fantasy tabletop model and from the inventory-puzzle source material ... an ensemble-oriented style built upward from the chorus of satiric voices that shaped where Zork has gone so far, paving new roads for its future.

#RPGaDay #RPGaDay2017 My approach: https://goo.gl/fHnbFU

3 comments:

  1. Beyond Zork was great, one of the few entries I actually beat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a printed copy of the Zork I map on my desk for months. I think the answer is DCC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like studying the text adventure games for puzzles/tricks for D&D adventures.

    ReplyDelete