Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I've been reading Maze of Peril by Holmes before I fall asleep.

Herman Klang wrote:

I've been reading Maze of Peril by Holmes before I fall asleep. I am surprised by the parallels between it and my Portown campaign using the sample dungeon.

I probably shouldn't be but some of the things were eerie. I didn't know about the Dagonites but put a Kuo Toa temple.

During the first session the PCs find the temple and steal a stature just like Boinger et al. on their first adventure in the underworld.

This leads to problems that follow both parties out of the underworld and into the town.

I mean I guess we both read Shadow over Innsmouth and then drew some maps, so it shouldn't be that surprising.

7 comments:

  1. So apparently John Eric Holmes thinks that when you sneeze it sounds like "GERFLOOSH!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you are reading it. I just re-read it last weekend while working on my Gary Con adventure. Which I will eventually share with everybody. My six-pregens are Boinger, Zereth, Murray, Hortensa, Sir Geoffrey and Brother Ambrose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rcvd it in the mail, but can't handle reading two books at once so it waits until I finish Guns of August<¤>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach H What character classes did you make them? Race-as-class for Boinger and Zereth, or multiclass, or something else? I'm guessing Murray and Ambrose are a magic-user and a cleric, obviously. Is Geoffrey just a very religious fighter, or did you use some kind of paladin rules? How about Hortensa - is she a fighter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For this game, I'm using Holmes Basic as expanded by OD&D + Greyhawk, so they are: Boinger - a Hobbit Fighter, Zereth - Elf F/M-U, Murray - M-U, Hortensa - Fighter with Amazon Background (from my OD&D Backgrounds), Sir Geoffrey - a Paladin, and Ambrose - a Lawful Good Cleric. I've used info from the character sheets in Tales of Peril and in the Maze of Peril novel for details, but it's not a strict recreation, more of a parallel universe take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Herman, if I were a Jungian, I would say you and Dad tapped into the same collective unconscious. It's probably just Dagon, messing with your dreams.

    Sounds great Zach, you can add a dwarf and Olaf the mercenary if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris Holmes Zach H I second adding Bardan the zombie dwarf as a possible PC (minor spoilers).

    ReplyDelete