Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rules Cyclopedia pdf up on dndclassics as of yesterday. Unfortunately, this doesn't bode well for a reprint.

Rules Cyclopedia pdf up on dndclassics as of yesterday. Unfortunately, this doesn't bode well for a reprint.

The product history mentions Holmes Basic twice.

"The Rules Cyclopedia was the result - and it also offered somewhere for the Black Box players to go when they finished with fifth level. Ironically, this was reportedly the exact same setup that Gygax had planned for the J. Eric Holmes Basic Set and also for AD&D, way back in 1977."
http://www.dndclassics.com/product/17171/D%26D-Rules-Cyclopedia-%28Basic%29?it=1&filters=0_0_44699

7 comments:

  1. Ah. That's the news we've been dreading. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy I can buy it legally. Sad that it does in fact look bad for reprints. WoTC why do you take so long to catch up with purchasing patterns? Print & PDF is what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WotC is banking in the popularity of the wrong editions, it seems. I'm sure they have tons of marketing data to back their decisions up, but are completely failing to realize how many of us there are with money we'd love to throw at something like this. If they can't commit to a full print run, they should at least give us a POD option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hated the way they did the page numbers in this book
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd buy re-issues of the BECMI boxes on top of a new copy of the RC.  And any other Box sets they want to throw at us(Holmes, B/X, Forgotten Realms 1st edition, Undermountain!!!  etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lost me once you started talking FR... up until then, I was right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started with basic but my first AD&D experience was with 2nd edition and I do like a lot of that stuff, I could use a new Dark Sun boxed set also! and maybe get me some Planescape(played but never owned) Damn I'd lose a lot of money to WOTC and I'm sure others would too. If they only knew!!!  I can name drop more crap but I'll stop at I love oldschool(including 2E) boxsets!!!

    ReplyDelete