Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Your next must have book:

Your next must have book:

Originally shared by Jon Peterson

I'm excited to share a first look at our new Dungeons & Dragons visual history ART & ARCANA, which will be on sale October 23! It's an illustrated guide to the history and evolution of D&D that we've been working on with Wizards of the Coast and the good people at Ten Speed Press (part of Penguin Random House). Check it out!

You can pre-order on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Art-Arcana-History/dp/0399580948
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/562708/dungeons-and-dragons-art-and-arcana-by-michael-witwer-kyle-newman-jon-peterson-and-sam-witwer/9780399580949/

8 comments:

  1. Considering that the tome is over 400 pages, I'm hoping they spend a fair amount of time on the earliest TSR artists - Greg Bell, David C. Sutherland III, David Trampier, and Erol Otus especially. While I recognize that they have a lot of ground to cover, I have noticed several previous takes (online articles, WOTC art collections) on D&D art seemed to start at best in the 80s with Elmore & company (who I also enjoy, for the record) while ignoring the seminal artists that got the whole ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. Jon Peterson may be able to give us more of a heads up on the content as the release date approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost never pre-order anything so I will probably wait until I get more of a run down of the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might be able to guess from my involvement that there is quite a bit of content about the earliest artists, including some things that I think are pretty big reveals. Just to tease one: how about a piece of Cookie Corey art she submitted to Gygax that didn't make it into OD&D? And yes, people like Erol get the level of coverage they deserve. While I don't want to talk anyone out of preordering, I might also hint that there could be special editions etc. to be announced later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. W00t! Thanks, Jon Peterson - I feel much relieved : ) Look forward to the book's release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the additional info, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Jon has been working on this for a long time. It should be scholarly and fun.

    ReplyDelete