Friday, March 16, 2018

B4 Campaign Sourcebook


At last - I'm ready to circulate the 48-page "B4 campaign sourcebook", a collection of mostly new material celebrating Tom Moldvay's "The Lost City" including:

Retrospective: The Lost City
Memories of Tom Moldvay
About the Artist, from “The Art of Jim Holloway”
Printing History, with notes from the Acaeum
Origins of the Lost City
Worship of the Ancient Gods
The Cynidicean Mosaics
Holmes and the Lost City
Notes on the Underground City
Expanding the Adventure
New Monsters
The Emirates of Ylaruam
The DM’s Guide to Cynidicea
Review: “Mystara: Return to the Lost City”
Review: “Masque of Dreams” (including some previously unpublished artwork by Michael Kaluta!)
Review: “Elder Evils”
2013 Gen Con Championship

There was also a 24-page section detailing the Underground City which I will be releasing as a separate pdf, as I'm working on significantly improving my original, 30+ year old notes.

Module B4 was published for use with B/X, but lends itself magnificently to a Holmes Basic campaign (there are even instructions in the module for running it entirely using the Blue Book - see Zach's article for more info).

Here's the link:
https://sites.google.com/site/bxgrimoire/B4%20campaign%20sourcebook.pdf

9 comments:

  1. Borrowing from Grognardia for the frontispiece of the sourcebook leaves a little bad taste in my mouth and makes me skeptical about the rest of the contents, which I haven't reviewed yet. JM failed as a 3rd ed./d20 freelancer and dropped Grognardia as soon as a chance to sign on with 4e and 5e presented itself. I have never understood the notion that he's some kind of expert on the "old school".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darva Shriver Have a look and let me know what you think! I know what you mean about James, but for years I followed Grognardia and really enjoyed his retrospectives. I thought his piece on B4 set the tone I was looking for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I'll read it over in more detail later. Thanks for the time and effort involved in putting this together Demos Sachlas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darva Shriver James has been running an Empire of the Petal Throne game for the last three years, and has published at least seven issues of a related zine The Excellent Travelling Volume. Doesn't get much more old school than that. And I've never seen him post anything about 5E, and in fact he once stated he doesn't even own it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like greatest sourcebook I never knew I needed! Very much looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely got to check this out.

    ReplyDelete