Saturday, August 13, 2016

Did anyone here ever buy The Temple of Golthana?



Tony Rowe wrote:

Did anyone here ever buy The Temple of Golthana? (posting to a few communities, so pardon any duplication in your feeds)

This indie-published adventure was advertised in the back of Dragon #93 (Jan. 1985). Here, we see the "Mad Goddess," what looks like a medusa with teenage girl's locket around her neck.

By coincidence, I was on a cross-country drive with my uncle that same summer and I convinced him to stop at this address to visit RAVENSTORM PRODUCTIONS, what my 12-year-old assumed would be a professional game studio. Of course, it was just some guy's house. The owner talked to me about how he and some friends published the adventure but any remaining copies were in storage and that he'd have to mail me one. He never did and I've wondered about this adventure ever since.

Does anybody have an further information on this lost adventure?

7 comments:

  1. I suspect that many "game companies" in the 80's were simply 'some guy's house'. One adventure I bought called "The Nine Doctrines of Darkness" was surprisingly useful. There was, as of a few years ago, no trace left of the company (Dark Six?) that wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Dimension Six wrote it, thanks for finding that Noah. However, the cover depicted there is different than the cover on the module I have. Same theme, same cloaked figure, but different background. I wonder if it was popular enough to reprint, thus being able to find it on Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blogged about Nine Doctrines of Darkness not long after I bought the first (and only) two adventures: https://crypticarchivist.blogspot.com/2014/08/4-most-recent-rpg-purchase-2-of-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony:  I didn't find any mentions for the Temple of Golthana at the Acaeum or Tome, so you're likely out of luck unless someone happens to have a copy.  (I'm in the same boat, still looking for a copy of "Treasure of the Dragon Queen":  http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys_dragon_queen.html ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ask the Q on the Acaeum, you may have some folks chime in with more info:  https://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allan Grohe, you are right. Forum post created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think I stumped the sages at Acaeum with this one.

    ReplyDelete