Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Alright, folks — it’s time to get the party together again!

Alright, folks — it’s time to get the party together again!

FANTASTIC! EXCITING! IMAGINATIVE! Volume Two BEGINS NOW!

We’re looking for more! More ideas, more of that ol’ magic, and most of all: MORE CONTRIBUTORS...

This time around I will be paying contributors for the entries used in the final product. Volume Two will be a for-sale item (whereas Volume One is available for free [http://www.rpgnow.com/product/206310/FANTASTIC-EXCITING-IMAGINATIVE-Volume-One], and as such I will be compensating you for the submissions you write that go on to appear in the final product. That rate is 3 cents per word.

I’m hoping to cram as many entries as possible from as many different contributors as possible into the zine, and as such I ask that you keep your submissions concise (like the stuff in the original rules), somewhere in the ballpark of from 80 to 160 words.

I will be posting prompts again this time around. These are for the sake of getting your creativity into action, if you need direction. Feel free to “skip ahead” if you are so inspired.

As before, we’re focusing on the art from the Holmes edition. Grab any little detail or feature and make something new from it! Refer to Volume One if you need examples of how a tiny detail or aspect can go on to inspire entries. We aren’t slavishly adhering to the art, but using it as a spring-board for creating something new for all our games.

Tell your friends! Tell your neighbors! Tell your enemies! Tell your neurologist! Let them know what’s happening and that they can join in!

I’ll post the first prompt soon.

Thanks for reading.


EVEN MORE STUFF, BUT MORE BUSINESS-Y BORING-TYPE STUFF:

I plan to pay contributors via PayPal, once the zine’s contents are finalized. If we need to work out an alternative, I’m open to that. Contributors will receive PDF copies of F.E.I. Volume Two; we may be able to work out your payment in the form of also getting a physical copy of the zine, if you prefer, for example.

If I get multiple entries with similar or identical features, I will choose the one that is more inventive, better written, provides more variety of voice, came in first, or for any other reason, as I see fit.

Submitting an idea does not guarantee it will appear in the finished zine. Only items in the finished zine will earn payment.

There may be other business-y details that will come up as we go along — I will answer them as I get them, and amend this post to include that information, as needed.

Batteries not included.

Thanks for reading even more.

4 comments:

  1. Quick query regarding "skipping ahead".

    By "skipping ahead" you mean in regards to content from 'ye olde, blue-booke', as before (vol.I). Not skipping ahead to say; art from B1 or B2 correct?
    We are addressing art-inspired contributions from the Holmes edition, D&D rules "manual", not Holmes edition, D&D rules "sets".

    I am sort of visualizing this F.E.I. vol.II, as a "deluxified" rendition of F.E.I. vol.I

    Am I getting warm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're going to stick with the rule book again for this one, but try to do all of it this time (maybe even the British version), and hopefully with more voices in the mix.

    But if we fall short, I may open things up to any or all of B1/B2/M&TA...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jon Wilson!-

    I have a few Qs for you:

    1) what deadlines are you setting for submissions?
    2) what are you doing with rights for submissions?---do creators retain them, or are you buying first-time rights, or all rights, etc.?
    3) just how obscure can we be in pulling from the Holmes materials?---are materials from Holmes' home campaign, fictions, and the A&E articles fair game? how about the draft info from the manuscript that Zach H has documented for us?

    Thanks!

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Allan Grohe

    Let's see how I do with the A's:

    1) Submissions are accepted until the thing is full! I expect that'll be somewhere around the end of the month. Additionally, entries that don't get into Volume Two will be saved over for consideration in a future Volume.

    2) I'm paying for the rights to publish the submissions, but they will continue to be available to the authors to use elsewhere as they see fit.

    3) I'd like to stick to elements from the illustrations for Volume Two. That said, there's plenty of wiggle room, i.e., if you've got a sword write-up, well, there's plenty of swords swinging in the illustrations... There's a dwarf entry in my folder that's technically inspired by something else, but also fits in because of page 25. Where there's a will (to contribute), there's a way (we can make it work)!

    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete