Tuesday, June 23, 2015

In my search for intermediate-level adventures to continue my Holmes-based OD&D campaign, I came across the Gen Con...

In my search for intermediate-level adventures to continue my Holmes-based OD&D campaign, I came across the Gen Con X tournament dungeon, originally published by Judges Guild.

There's something about this adventure that's very "Holmesian" - the dungeon in particular.  Gen Con X was right around the time that the Holmes Basic Set came out, so that's probably no coincidence.

Interestingly, there's a set of tournament rules included, in which it's stated that a dagger strikes 2 times per round!  The tournament was played in 1977, so a connection to the rule in Holmes seems quite likely.
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=70763

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this - loved dreading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I loved dreading it too... ...I remember seeing this very JG module in stores all those years ago, but I just giggled at the title and started browsing the TSR modules. Now that I'm relatively grown up, I think I could read this one without all the childish giggles and actually get something D&D out of it. ;)
    The Holmsian Tournament rules is of the greatest interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that the name loses all other connotations after reading it 100+ times.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably make all the city encounters & locations part of my Portown campaign anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, indeed - they are all very Portownesque - a great trove of material

    ReplyDelete