Sunday, January 20, 2019

Has anyone had experience running this module from dragon #41?




Thom Hall wrote:

Has anyone had experience running this module from dragon #41? There's a couple cool quirks; first there is a special saving throw mechanic introduced where the situation calls for a saving throw against the specified ability score (ala t&t,5e, etc) but the save is made by rolling a certain number of d6 as noted for the difficulty or complexity of the situation then the player subtracts one for every 2 levels of experience and if the resulting total is less than the ability score they are successful. The other bit nifty about this module is it includes dex scores for a bunch of the monsters for holmes style initiative.

12 comments:

  1. Good eye. I like to use a similar mechanic for non-combat task resolution. I was inspired by Steve Jackson’s TFT/ITL. Holmes himself used a simplified variation on this in his introductory RPG system (a.k.a. “Holmes’ Other Game”) in his book “Role-Playing Games” published by Hippocrene Books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran this about a year ago. I don't remember much about the save mechanic and probably used my own methods for anything that was called for. I would have to read it again and refresh my memory. Overall, the game went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool - thanks for bringing to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that mechanic. I would let them subtract one point from a 3D6 roll for every level over 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used this module a few times, but I'm not sure I ever used the additional mechanics in it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looooooved that adventures as a kid! I ran it multiple times when it was first released but haven’t read it as an adult

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also dig the blurb about how dwarven clerics are strictly npcs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about the Beoll-Dur check on ODD74 a few years back and mentioned it in my early history of 3d6 checks. There are earlier examples, even before TFT, although for specific resolutions versus a generalized usage. zenopusarchives.blogspot.com - The early history of 3d6 stat checks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the history. I ran an impromptu game once with 3 D6 and my memory. Combat was a Dexterity check with some modifier for armor class. I think I added one point to the D6 roll for Leather armor and so on. It was a fun exercise, but I missed the funny dice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the early Dragon modules - see also the Fell Pass and Pit of the Oracle - have a great early TSR look (inc art) but remain relatively unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zach H Oops, I got confused... Fell Pass is the one I've used a bunch. I don't know if I ever used Halls of Beoll Dur though I definitely recognize it.

    ReplyDelete