Monday, November 9, 2015

Fighting Men

Mike Hill wrote:

Fighting Men
Nearly forgot this one. I allow fighters to attack using the monster's combat table starting on the 1+2 to 2 row. As the fighter's level increases he moves down the table observing the number in the left-hand column.

So a level 4 fighter (darn heroic!) would fight on the 4+ to 6+ row. He wouldn't advance to the next row until he was level 7.

You might be thinking this makes the fighter pretty tough? Well, I hope so, he needs all the help he can get. :-)

Edit
One more thing... All fighters score one more point of damage in hand-to-hand combat by virtue of their class training.. Any character with a strength of 15+ scores one extra hit. So a fighter with strength 17, for example, would get a whopping +2 bonus to hits scored in a toe-to-toe rumble.

Thanks
Mike

8 comments:

  1. Nice idea to use a table already in the book rather than creating a new one. I like using a table-free version where the fighter's HD = bonus to hit at each level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Zach H, can you give me some more details? Are we talking Target 20?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I always view these systems (descending AC, ascending AC, Target 20) as the same equation just expressed differently. So, the fighter's ability to hit increases by one per level, no matter how you figure it out (table or attack bonus).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So a level 3 fighter gets +3 to hit regardless of the method used? What is your "tableless" method?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just annotate AC with the number required for a 1st level character to hit that AC. The two together always equal 19. So AC 9/10. Fighters and monsters get a +1 to hit per HD to hit this number, so they just add this bonus to their attack roll. It's essentially just ascending AC but I still use the original nomenclature for the names of the ACs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you prefer a table, you can do the same thing with a table that is just one line for 1st level characters, and then add the bonuses for higher levels to the attack roll. This would look like the Holmes Basic Attack table on page 18. Just use this  little table, and give higher level fighters/monsters a bonus to hit equal to their HD. Keeps the tables to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to give that some thought. I sort-of understand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. : ) I've used the table-less version at home with a single player, but in practice when I was running a multi-player version over the summer I found it easier on my brain to use the simplified table version.

    ReplyDelete