Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Fantasy Wargaming article Battle magazine April 78




Chris found an article, from the April 1978 issue of Battle magazine, by Charles Grant describing pre-D&D fantasy wargaming convention events organized by Tony Bath. The article is, strangely enough, illustrated with pictures from Holmes Basic (UK and US versions) with permission from Games Workshop, who was distributing/printing TSR material in the UK at the time.

Originally shared by Chris Kutalik

I came across an interesting artifact in researching old Battle magazines from the 1970s (a British wargaming magazine that got folded into Military Modelling). Here's an April 1978 report from Charles Grant relaying an early fantasy miniatures event from 1972 (set up by other UK wargaming great Tony Bath no less) that clearly has many, if not all, the elements of what people say are RPGs. It does make me question (again) the Great Man theory of how RPGs developed.

In itself the event sounds off the chain. A quest where a gonzo literary range of 20 player-heroes (John Carter, Beowulf, Cuchlain, Boromir, Gandalf, Robin Hood etc) move over a series of four by four tables with firecrackers and kookie poetry.

6 comments:

  1. Is there a link to a full sized pic of the article? When I click on the pic, I get the "as-is" size pic and I can't blow it up after saving it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris only posted the first page, of three. When I click on the photo it take me to Chris' Google Photo page. Clicking on the magnifying lens at the top right brings up a slider allowing close up viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can magnify it while I'm online, but since I'm only online at the coffee shop, I save the actual reading of articles for offline home entertainment. Hrmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try going under the "More" tab and selected "Download Photo".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote extensively about this Southampton game in my book; it's one of the most interesting Braunstein parallels. Tony Bath came so close to inventing fantasy role-playing games - if Featherstone hadn't been so negative about them, he surely would have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony Bath's "Hyborian Campaign" guidelines remain a great resource for setting up an RPG campaign world even today; well worth a read, and collected in the book "Tony Bath's Ancient Wargaming" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0557111803?keywords=tony%20bath%27s%20ancient%20wargaming&qid=1447358944&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1).

    ReplyDelete