Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Tolkien's "Beren and Luthien" story to be published in stand alone format next year, edited by Christopher Tolkien...

Tolkien's "Beren and Luthien" story to be published in stand alone format next year, edited by Christopher Tolkien and fully illustrated by Alan Lee. Per a Harpercollins press release, as found on the Too Many Books blog (Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull, who have written many annotated Tolkien books)
https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/beren-and-luthien/

3 comments:

  1. I love Tolkien's work. I own, in multiple copies, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the complete History of Middle Earth, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and several glossary/anthological texts. And I have some of Alan Lee's work in book form. So I'm a true fan...but though I'm sure the artwork is new and inspiring, this feels like an attempt to keep the cash register ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. This seems to be in the same vein as the illustrated Children of Hurin from 10 years ago. I enjoyed that volume, so I think I will appreciate this. There's some Beren & Luthien material that is unpublished (the later unfinished prose version) so there's an opportunity to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, of course! I know I will buy it -- just grumbling. I have "multiple copies" of certain books, even multiple copies of hardbacks, so I may as well starting making a space for the new volume...;)

    ReplyDelete