Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Had a great time at #tridentcon III this past Saturday!

Had a great time at #tridentcon III this past Saturday!

I was only made it for Saturday, but went to all three sessions.

My big accomplishment was running a con game for the first time, an OD&D adaptation of Corsairs of Tallibar by Judges Guild (1982). For a full table of 8 inc Paul Aparicio Eric Hoffman & his brother Kurt. I used the #holmesref sheets plus a new set of 3rd level pre-gens (coming soon). The group played well and finished the ~30 room dungeon just as the 4 hours were up, finding the pirate's treasure. I started the day with a sore throat and lost my voice by the end of the game. It's mostly back to normal as of today...

In the morning Larry Hollis introduced me to the world of Atomic Robo (FATE), along with John Appel and a Pathfinder-Card-Game kid Larry recruited. The setting reminded me of Agent Carter, investigating weird science just after WWII. The adventure, an original, had us exploring a deserted installation on a volcanic island in the South Pacific.

After dinner Charley Phipps ran nine of us including Paul and Rich McKee thru the first tournament section of I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, using the official pre-gens. I was Hieroman, 1/2 E Druid. I always loved this module but luckily hadn't read it in years. The party was successful until we ran out of time just as we were pursuing a Yuan-Ti into the city.

Zeb Cook was the special guest, and ran an improv D&D game that my friend Scott played in along with Noah Stevens. I talked to Zeb briefly and had him to sign a copy of A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity, joining those of cover artist Jeff Dee, interior artist Diesel and editor Frank Mentzer.

Thanks to Erik Jensen for much labor in organizing this con for us!

3 comments:

  1. Fun times! Great time playing Corsairs, particularly liked the friendly mimic (though I figured he was eventually going to try and snack on us later). Definitely looking forward to next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paul! The mimic is in the original module & willing to exchange info for food, per the original MM where the smaller type may "tell a party about what they have seen nearby".  My home group encountered it much earlier and it followed them around the whole dungeon like a stray dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on running a con game. Sounds like a you did a great job.
    Do you think the friendly mimic might have inspired Terry Pratchett s luggage monster?

    ReplyDelete