Sunday, March 10, 2013

Table comparing the probabilities of rolling under an ability score using 3d6, 4d6 or 5d6 (with d20 for comparison).

Table comparing the probabilities of rolling under an ability score using 3d6, 4d6 or 5d6 (with d20 for comparison). Posted by IvanMike on Dragonsfoot in 2010. My group uses these checks and as a player I like them because it's always fun to roll a handful of dice, and there's heightened tension when the DM makes you make a 4d6 or 5d6 dice check.
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44537#p936629

3 comments:

  1. Funny. I have used a system very similar to this since my 1E days, 29 years ago. I quit using it when I switched from 2E to 3E, and with my return to OSR gaming, I have returned to using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an old school system. When I asked, some folks pointed out it was featured in an AD&D module in Dragon Magazine in 1980, the Halls of Beoll-Dur, and also appeared in the Fantasy Trip / Into the Labyrinth in the same year. There are probably some earlier usages.

    http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=menmagic&thread=7044&page=1#93286

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats probably where I picked it up then. I remember playing through several of the dungeons that appeared in Dragon. I wouldn't know the name because the DM would have given them a name appropriate to his setting.

    ReplyDelete