Saturday, March 23, 2019

Gronan's Guide to Gaming

Gronan's Guide to Gaming, advice he sent out to the players of his OD&D game at Gary Con beforehand.

https://wmusswtwbf.wordpress.com/2019/02/23/gronans-guide-to-gaming/


GRONAN'S GUIDE TO GAMING

Hell, I've been running D&D since before it was published. I'm not "old school," I'm PRESCHOOL! Anyway. Yes, Virginia, there are really very substantial differences between Original Dungeons & Dragons (OD&D) and later editions. There are also differences in the way I run D&D, no matter what the edition.

6 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound that fun to me, especially the part about following a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got some issues, although I get the point. I run a skill based game, and there are reasons I use things like perception- the player describes their intent, and then there is a roll for it- watching a crowd for an hour to spot a fugative is something that isn't automatic, as people blink, or get distracted. You need the roll, just like you do when you declare "I hit it with my axe"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found some of the comments to his post worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ironically, despite sending this out, he had such a bad experience running the game that he said he'd never run OD&D again at Gary Con.

    ReplyDelete