Saturday, November 26, 2016

Inspired by Wayne Rossi, another 1970s California-native gaming set.Starting with the left column:




Inspired by Wayne Rossi, another 1970s California-native gaming set. Starting with the left column:
- The original Warlock rules printed in The Spartan #9 (#10 behind it has Thief ability charts)
- Warlock's Tower
- Instant Bad Guys
- The Warlock Menagerie (from 1980, but I'll slip it in here)
- The Complete Warlock
- Holmes Basic (naturally)
- The Manual of Aurania
- The Spellcaster's Bible (for a crazy variety of spells)
- Chaosium's All the World's Monsters volumes 1-3 (vol. 2 contains the Perrin Conventions)
- Booty and the Beasts (for high weirdness in monsters and treasures. I only have a facsimile copy, I'm afraid)

Missing from my collection: anything Arduin :(

11 comments:

  1. Man, I only wish I had the Manual of Aurania. And good point on ATWM - I could've used that in place of the Monster Manual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow some of these I've never seen. I love that hippie wizard on Warlocks Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Holmes, we'd love to hear what you used in that era. From your father's writings, I assume you used the Manual of Aurania.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonus points if you are actually in CA while playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony Rowe Chris' friend Eric, who played Murray, still has his copy of the Manual of Aurania.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own about half of these, plus Arduin vols 1-3. Never heard of The Spellcaster's Bible - who did that one? How were the spells in it? There is some really interesting indie stuff from back then kicking around, and man there is also some pure dreck as well (some of the latter has given me an appreciation for why Gygax railed against third party products back in the day).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy C, happy belated birthday!

    The Spellcaster's Bible was published by "The Playing Board" in Albany, CA in 1979. Magic-User spells range from level one to level fifteen! Also includes rules for spell points (of course) and other variants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coincidentally, the character sheet ("Basic Character File") published by the The Playing Board was just posted up on OD&D Discussion earlier this month: http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/12084/identify-old-character-sheet

    ReplyDelete
  9. What was covered in the manual of aurania?

    ReplyDelete