Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Beta preview of what the "Holmes Basic G+ Community Archive" will look like.

Beta preview of what the "Holmes Basic G+ Community Archive" will look like. This is a post from 2015 when Ernie Gygax was briefly active here:

https://holmesbasicgpluscommunity.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-oldest-tsr-shirt-that-i-seen.html (updated 2/9)

There are still two issues keeping this from going live:
1) Original posts are missing the poster's name, so it makes it look like I wrote everything. Comments have the name, but not the posts. The G+ Exporter developers have stated this will be addressed in a future release.
2) Some posts are missing hyperlinks. I am discussing this with the developers currently.

Thanks to Larry Hamilton for helping get the exported XML files for this, although I am planning to get the license myself since the developers are so responsive

12 comments:

  1. Hey Zach H and Andy Action , will you guy's be MeWe-ing, or no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an account and made a Holmes Basic group there but have only occasionally been checking it

    ReplyDelete
  3. They released a new version (1.7.8) of G+ Exporter last night, and I tested it today. It's now tagging the Blogger posts with the original author's name. It's showing up as a label at the bottom of the post. Not ideal, but at least it preserves the original info. Still not harvesting all hyperlinks. It seems to be those posts where the hyperlink was transformed into a "Preview Link" (the ones that show a picture). I've given the devs an example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've updated the link above to the new version. If you look at it you'll see the third label is now "Zach H", indicating I was the G+ author. All of the posts are similarly labeled with the original author's name. It's definitely not clear, but preserves the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Zach! Will dig into this again after GaryCon :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. At last, I'm finally doing my export process, thanks for the info Zenopus Archives!

    ReplyDelete