Monday, December 9, 2013

I was just reviewing "Gygax on Holmes", and found these quotes from Gygax I'd forgotten:

I was just reviewing "Gygax on Holmes", and found these quotes from Gygax I'd forgotten:

"As it happened, I reviewed Eric/s ms. and put in the material I was creating for the new AD&D system"

"I was in charge of the ms. when it was turned over. That is how it came to have new material quite similar to the AD&D game--I was writing the PHB at the time, and I wanted D&D to have some of the new features of the AD&D game"

From these it sounds like Gygax himself was the secondary editor at TSR rather than someone else like Mike Carr or Tim Kask (From Tim's posts on DF I get the impression he was too involved with Dragon magazine at the time to be working on the Basic Set).
https://sites.google.com/site/zenopusarchives/home/holmes/gygax-on-holmes

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. I can't really see a lot AD&D in the Holmes basic set. At least not the 1E elements that were already present in the 3 LBB and Greyhawk.
    Granted, I'm not a 1E expert, so I may be wrong about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The AD&D spells and the alignment system are what stand out to most people. From the manuscript we are now seeing some other sections added by Gygax. I expanded on this today:

    http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/2013/12/interlude-who-edited-editor.html

    ReplyDelete